History’s Closet: Teaching History Through Clothes
This is an exhibiton showcasing a grant project funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. The grant helped support the digital photography of artifacts that could be used to teach history in accordance with Ohio’s curriculum for grades 8-12, and offer workshops to teachers to provide them with information and resources to create lesson plans using the digital images. The exhibition will feature five history lesson areas: Early American Republic 1770s-1820, Civil War, turn of the century consumerism, the Great Depression and WWII and 1960-70s innovation. Wireless access to the museum’s Fashion2fiber website will be available in the gallery via ipads and personal devices to retrieve information regarding artifacts not included in the exhibition due to space. http://fashion2fiber.osu.edu
Tuesday–Thursday 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fridays 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
Saturdays 12–4 p.m.
Closed Spring Break March 8-15, 2014
Please contact us if you have questions about our exhibitions and programs.
- The Columbus Fashion Story
- Historic Girl Scout Uniform and Memorabilia Exhibit
- Global Textile Trades
- Charles Kleibacker: The OSU Years
- Practical and Whimsical: Shoe Designs of Beth (and Herbert) Levine
- Flora in Fashion
- Text from Textiles
- The Sewer’s Art: Quality, Fashion, and Economy
- Amish Quilts: The Midwestern Tradition
- The Little Black Dress: A Fashion Icon
- Leathers, Feathers, and Fur: A Fashion History
- Toddlers, Teens, and Tweens: 250 Years of Children’s Fashion
- Sculpture and Drapery: The Art of Fashion
- Recent Acquisitions of the OSU Historic Costume & Textiles Collection
- Capital Fashion, Columbus 1851-1965
- Ohio Pioneers of the Art Quilt
- Dressing the Part, On and Off the Stage
- A Century of Style: 100 Years of 4-H Fashion
- Fashion American Style: 1900-1999
- Reforming Fashion, 1850-1914: Politics, Health, and Art
- Textile Treasures: Selections from the OSU Historic Costume & Textiles Collection
- The Art of Selling: A History of Visual Merchandising
- Scaasi: The Joy of Dressing Up
- Wedding Traditions
- Fashioning the Future: Our Future from Our Past