And the Bride wore… is the title of our next exhibition offering, opening September 17th with a Friends preview, of course. The exhibition will have two installations, one during Fall semester, and the second in Spring semester so we can maximize the number of dresses to display in our upper gallery space. In addition, the Global Gallery @ OSU student retail store is planning a Fair Trade wedding boutique in the lower gallery space to accompany our exhibition.
The exhibition is organized around several themes, instead of being a strict timeline of wedding gown fashions, but will still feature dresses from the 1880s through the end of the 20th century and possibly into the 21st. All have interesting stories which accompany them. The themes include, “Something Old” and “Something New” which are pretty self-explanatory, “Something Borrowed”—a dress borrowed or re-cycled from a previous bride, “Something Blue”—a non-white wedding gown, “Generations”—more than one generation of brides in a family, “War Brides”—dresses worn around various war times, and “Local Interest”—dresses with stories and connections local to Columbus and Ohio. Each installation will feature 15-16 gowns and all thematic areas.
Tuesday–Thursday 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fridays 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
Saturdays 12–4 p.m.
Please contact us if you have questions about our exhibitions and programs.
- History’s Closet
- The Columbus Fashion Story
- Historic Girl Scout Uniform and Memorabilia Exhibit
- Global Textile Trades
- Charles Kleibacker: The OSU Years
- Practical and Whimsical: Shoe Designs of Beth (and Herbert) Levine
- Flora in Fashion
- Text from Textiles
- The Sewer’s Art: Quality, Fashion, and Economy
- Amish Quilts: The Midwestern Tradition
- The Little Black Dress: A Fashion Icon
- Leathers, Feathers, and Fur: A Fashion History
- Toddlers, Teens, and Tweens: 250 Years of Children’s Fashion
- Sculpture and Drapery: The Art of Fashion
- Recent Acquisitions of the OSU Historic Costume & Textiles Collection
- Capital Fashion, Columbus 1851-1965
- Ohio Pioneers of the Art Quilt
- Dressing the Part, On and Off the Stage
- A Century of Style: 100 Years of 4-H Fashion
- Fashion American Style: 1900-1999
- Reforming Fashion, 1850-1914: Politics, Health, and Art
- Textile Treasures: Selections from the OSU Historic Costume & Textiles Collection
- The Art of Selling: A History of Visual Merchandising
- Scaasi: The Joy of Dressing Up
- Wedding Traditions
- Fashioning the Future: Our Future from Our Past